No right is more precious in a free country than that of having a voice in the election of those who make the laws under which, as good citizens, we must live. Other rights, even the most basic, are illusory if the right to vote is undermined.
- US Supreme Court

Monday, June 16, 2008

PUMA

Someone has started a group and a formal effort to capture and bottle the PUMA sentiment/movement.

Me, I am still a holdout skeptic, because what I know of this guy isn't enough:
  • He is a writer for HuffPo

  • He is the same guy who claims to have been the one to egg Harriet Christian on to her rant while she was still white-hot angry (later used all over the media to confirm that Hillary supporters are in fact bitter and racist)

  • He has a story to explain why he has adopted the word PUMA, and has apparently taken it upon himself to represent PUMAs in the national media, while those who invented the term do not know who he is or where he came from

  • His webpage's "action" page appears to be all about focus groups. (I am automatically suspicious of all people who collect information on other people, but never more so than during an election as dirty as this one has been so far)

  • We are told that the reason he was able to connect virtually instantaneously with the major media outlets is because he and/or his associates are PR professionals
Is he a hero or the Pied Piper, playing a tune to round us all up? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, let me be the lead grouch. I prefer old-fashioned voting to being focus-grouped, targeted, and marketed. And I rarely trust people who show up to claim leadership over large groups of people*. Especially when control of the known world is at stake.

And especially when there have already been numerous psych jobs perpetrated against the Democrats in what appears to be a long-planned-out party coup. Is this guy our friend, or is he related to the absolutely credible, absolutely persuasive anonymous sources who persuaded Larry Johnson to trash his reputation on some tape of Michelle Obama that apparently does not exist?

I don't want to see a similar fate befall Riverdaughter. Beware slick PR professionals who show up the day of the DNC ruling to befriend the very people who would be at the forefront of any grassroots organizing in the face of this party rip-off. Please just beware.
–verb (used without object)
2.to be cautious or careful: Beware of the dog.

[Origin: 1150–1200; ME, from phrase of warning be ware. See be, ware2]
Maybe he's an OK guy and I am slandering him. But on the other hand, he could be a great big well-funded "sweetie".

I admit I just don't like what I see so far when it comes to Harriet Christian. He appears to me to have been plenty persuasive when egging her on - but as for offering a real defense of her after she was in the media's glaring spotlight? Not so much.
  • In fact, I have a confession to make. It was I who encouraged Harriet to stay and to face the cameras. Each time she wanted to storm from the lobby in a fiery exeunt, it was I who stopped her, consoled her, turned her around, and told her "Your anger needs to be heard, friend. Don't stop."

  • Did I think that she could have been more coherent at first? Yes, I did. Did I feel that she was flirting with the edge of reason? Yes, I did....

  • I would like to add that I don't condone...

  • Again, though, not words I personally would have ever chosen...

  • Many have criticized Harriet for what is being categorized as her "circus antics."...

  • That anger needed a voice that wasn't couched behind cold, intellectually dishonest reason....

  • Was she the best marksman? Perhaps not....

  • We all know that -- had she been as calm and collected as so many of you feel she should have been -- that she wouldn't have the nearly 800,000 YouTube hits she now does....

  • She has since confessed to me many a time how she now fears that her emotions might be used to hurt Hillary Clinton's campaign.
May I never be defended by friends so faint in their praise.

(And what is "intellectually dishonest" supposed to mean?)

Also: automatic points deducted for his being connected to HuffPo, Obama's chosen site. It was there Obama defended Wright, and it was there that he had one of his minions drop that crap about bitter, clingy PA voters.
___________________________________________
* Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because I've already seen one party coup and I've already been informed I am represented by a guy nobody voted for.

No comments: